Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jasper Speaks:

After our devastating failed international adoption, I took a long break from blogging. Things were hard. They were very hard. I went through a time of severe depression. After seeking help from my doctor and a wonderful counselor, I am well on the road to recovery.

I accepted a new ministry position in July of 2017. I am now the Missions Pastor at Grace Pointe Church in Naperville, Illinois. It is challenging and rewarding. I will take several trips throughout the year and recruit and train for all mission trips with our sex international partnerships.

Our next trip is in March and our son is coming with my wife and I to Siem Reap Cambodia. I am excited to do this second international mission trip (the first was to Spain in 2016) as a family. You can link from the widget above to find out more about helping our son get there.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

We apologize for not updating this site in such a long time. Life has been difficult for us over the past six weeks. As the situation continued to change in Uganda and our agency continued to frustrate us, we were faced with difficult decisions. In the end, the agency asked us to do some things that we felt were questionable as far as being in the best interest of the child with whom we were placed and for our family. We sought the counsel of our pastor and adoption professionals to help us sift through the matter.
On Tuesday, September 13, we made the final and difficult decision to end our relationship with our agency and with our pursuit of adoption in Uganda. We have prayed, cried and discussed this decision at great length. We have taken time as a family to process through the difficult emotions. Our lives have been on hold for nearly three years as we hoped and waited in good faith for this adoption to be completed to no avail. We understand that God closes doors and sometimes that can hurt deeply. However, there have been instances along the way in this journey where we have questioned God only to look back later and thank Him for His protection of our hearts.
We are not sure what our next step will be. We do not feel we are done with this adoption journey. We did lose a large sum of money by leaving our agency post-placement. However, the graciousness of God has left us with enough money to be well on our way to beginning a new adoption. However, we feel we need time to exhale from this difficult experience before moving forward.
We are doing very well. We have had time to privately grieve this devastating loss. We have told anyone who has asked what the outcome has become but needed to wait to "go public" with this announcement until we had officially contacted our agency. At this point we have had no acknowledgement of the letter although tracking shows that the letter was received on Thursday of last week at noon.
How can you help us now? First of all, we know you all love us and that is amazing. Please DO NOT look on us in pity. We have dealt with the sadness and having those who love and care for us reopen those hurts by innocently trying to empathize is something we would rather avoid. Second, please pray for our continued peace. Pray also that the agency would acknowledge the ending of our relationship so that we can feel the full freedom of no longer being associated with them. Pray also that we would hear and obey the Lord as He leads us to what we need to do to be in his will with our next steps.
Over the next few months, our family will be spending some time together away from home. We have had to hold off any of this time because we did not know how long we would be in country. This time away will help us to recharge and reset. Honestly, there is some relief in the freedom this process ending has brought. Please pray that we would have safe travels and that God would continue to heal us during this time.
Thank you all for loving us and supporting us over these last three years. The journey is not over. God promises that it is He has begun this work and He will be faithful to complete it.
Finally, feel free to share this news with whomever you wish. It will be easier for us to move on if we do not have to share this story time and time again.
Trusting Jesus,

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Thanks for the prayers. The call was, as it always seems to be, not all that informative. Originally we were going to be traveling in September but because of a commitment I made for early October, we will not be leaving until at least right after that. This is really hard and with the law changes we are kind of blindly trusting that things will work out. We know God has given us this opportunity. Still it is difficult to be positive when there are so many uncertainties. Thank you all for your prayers. Please keep them coming.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

There is not much in the way of updates. We do have a conversation with our agency tomorrow morning. Please pray that it will help us get this moving along. Thanks. #Rains2Uganda

Monday, August 08, 2016

I will attempt to condense this update as much as possible. So here goes!
The person who signed the bill didn't have authority to do so. So the courts in Uganda had to decide what that meant. They ruled a couple of weeks ago that they would retract all guardianships granted back to June 2nd. Thankfully we weren't part of that!
So moving forward - we think we will be pursuing some sort of foster care which will delay us another year. It will also mean 3 trips now. One trip will happen in a couple of months. Then another one in 4-5 months. And another one in another 4-5 months.
On the bright side we received another grant last week for $1200. Before we started the process of internationally adopting we were always scared of the $ side. And that has turned into kind of the easy part....sigh.
I know this was long. Thanks for reading until the end. That was as condensed as I could make it!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Friends, it is with heavy hearts that we must rescind our post from yesterday. We received a call from our agency this morning telling us that the in country lawyer advised them to tell us not to come immediately. We are in the process of canceling travel plans. If anything changes we will post here to let you know. Please be praying for us in this difficult time.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

We have a court date next week! Flights booked leaving Thursday... so many things to do! You ask - What do we need? So here are some ideas. 1. Prayer 2. Extra prayer for CIS fingerprints that are expiring. 3. Prayer the Visas at the airport will be available when we arrive. 4. SO many Travel details. 5. Prayers for us to be able to breathe and not be so sick with worry! And focus on the fact that we get to meet our son. Breathe. Just breathe. OK. 6. And if you have any laying around - $100 bills (2009 or newer) can be dropped off at our house any time tomorrow!
Next question you will ask - How long will we be gone? We have NO IDEA! We have one way tickets. Best guess is 3ish weeks. But we really don't know! AAAAHHHH!!!!!