Friday, February 20, 2004

A Staggering Statistic

The Survey Speaks:

According to Florida's Department of Health - Office of Vital Statistics, in the year 2002, there were more pregnancies among unwed mothers (150, 597) than married mothers (141, 828) in the state of Florida. That statistic is alarming enough; however, it has also been recorded that there were more BIRTHS among married mothers (124, 235) than unmarried mothers (80, 226). The primary cause for the lack of BIRTHS among unmarried mothers in comparison to married mothers was abortion. The total abortions given to umarried mothers in Florida, in 2002, were 70, 371. The total abortions given to married women were 17, 593.

Jasper Speaks:
I think in some ways this statistic speaks for itself. What a side microcosm of our country this is. Abortion has become a form of birth control rather than birth prevention. The devastation that an abortion leaves behind is incredible. When I see these startling numbers I hurt not only for the unborn life but for the countless women who will be living with this decision everyday.

Pro-abortion groups would have us believe that the psychological effects of abortion are a smoke screen that the far right has dreamed up to scare women. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Women struggle in this area for years after their decision. The hurt and guilt has been well documented. I will not be an extremist and say that all women encounter this but I will say that I believe that many, many do.

Our society has made this option so readily available and so "ordinary" that women are brought into the lie that there are no ramifications. There are so many. I don't know what the answer is to this. I think that in many ways our society today is paying for the liberalism of the generation before us. They let Roe V. Wade happen and here we are left to pick up the pieces. I am unashamedly pro-life but I wonder if we could ever go back to abortion on demand being illegal. I think that it is extremely difficult to take away a right that you have given to someone. The impact on overturning Roe V. Wade would be the 21st century version of prohibition I fear.

I pray that God would begin to touch the hearts of women in such a way that their decisions would be different. As I get older and still have no children of my own, it is harder for me to understand why someone who could conceive would ever want to kill the innocent child. So many people would be willing to take infants into their home. But these arguments are old and I know they have little effect on changing the hearts of our society. Sex is a right. Still it is a right that does not come without responsibility. Abortion is just a way to shuck the effects of our desire for momentary pleasure. Sadly, I feel that this pursuit will continue with little change.

No comments: