Saturday, February 14, 2004

The Youth Leader Blues

We had a great D-Now last weekend. A lot of fun. One
of the things we do is our leaders do a "creative
cheer" at the last large group session. I thought I
would share this year's cheer which we did as a blues
song. I think many of you can relate:

Well I love Jesus
And I love teenagers too
Most folks think I’m crazy
Doin’ the things I do

I spend time with students
I got no friends my own age
In a year I consume
More pizza than what I weigh

You ask me why I do this
I don’t know is all I can say
I just hope up in Heaven
Seventh graders shower everyday

I got the Youth Leader Blues
I got the Youth Leader Blues
Stayin’ up all night
Is just part of my life
I got the Youth Leader Blues


I’ve been working with students
For so many long years
I just guess I get a kick
Outta doing something most people fear

I drive all over creation
With screaming kids in a van
When they asked me to be a youth leader
Sometimes I wish I had ran

But I know I’ll be rewarded
In Heaven up above
Maybe I should get my head examined
‘ Cause this is what I love

We got the youth leader blues
We got the youth leader blues
I think Gorilla, Man, Gun
Is just loads of fun
We got the youth leader blues




Now I have had whipped cream
Get all up in my nose
When I’ve been asleep
Teenagers have painted my toes

I’ve done a thousand lock-ins
Listened to music that’s strange
I’ve worked hard for hours
Trying to remember your friend’s names

Now my back is aching
Both my knees are now shot
So I guess I’ll be a youth leader
Until I rot

We got the youth leader blues
We got the youth leader blues
It may cause me pain
So I’ll just walk with a cane
We got the youth leader blues


I like playing games
I could think up new ones all day
I can make any Bible story
Into a rockin’ relay

Sliding down a hill
Or eating weird stuff
I keep asking my Jesus
“When will it be enough?”

You see I drove my folks crazy
When I was a kid
So God makes work with teenagers
‘Cause of all the things I did

We got the youth leader blues
We got the youth leader blues
I gotta’ listen all day
To Reliant K
We got the youth leader blues

Some folks say I’m getting too old
To do the things that I do
Most people I know think
That I got some loose screws

But I just stand and tell them
Teenagers are great
Plus where else would nobody care
That I’m always late

You say turn up the radio
Before the parking lot we have left
I’ve listened to so much loud music
It’s not surprising that I’m going deaf

We got the youth leader blues
We got the youth leader blues
I am part of the in crowd
Cause I can belch real loud
We got the youth leader blues




No comments: