Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Something Positive

Jasper Speaks:

I share a lot of what doesn't work in my life on this blog so I thought today I would share something that did. My blood type is B-positive after all so I might as well try!

Just thought I would share with you what a great night we had at TNT (our midweek service). Our student led worship band has been together just about a year and they are really getting pretty good. Tonight they led me in worship in such a powerful way. They even brought my wife to tears! It is great to see time and effort pay off!

Then in my Senior High message time we had a light bulb moment. I am currently teaching through 1 John and am on chapter two. I really struggled with how to present it and had a difficult time writing the message. But when I got the end of the chapter where it talks about the lust of flesh, the lust of eyes and the pride of life I really felt like I needed to emphasize how we need to turn away from the things of the world. I ended up showing pictures of current celebs (Brad Pitt, Nick and Jessica, Donald Trump and Jack Black) and asked why we knew them,. Many of the kids answered because they are in movies or music or TV and then one girl said because they have money. It led us right into a discussion of material things that went well. Then I showed a picture of Chris Farley, Allyiah, JFK Jr. and Kurt Cobain. I told them if each of these wealthy, famous and DEAD stars could talk to them I am sure they would say the things of this world don't last.

We talked about how each of these people died as a result of one of the three categories of sin we were talking about. (Farley - The lust of flesh, JFK the pride of life [he flew an airplane he wasn't capable of flying in the conditions he did because he was too proud to admit he couldn't do it], Kurt Cobain the lust of flesh as well in a more round about way). Then what really seemed to get them was talking about the lust of eyes and how we want material things. Then I told the story of how Allyiah died and how she wanted all her stuff on the plane with her and wouldn't leave anything behind and so the plane was too heavy to take off and they crashed and she died. That was the lightbulb moment. The kids began to really respond to the need to keep their eyes of distractions and toward Christ. It was pretty cool.