Friday, May 21, 2004

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCES

Jasper Speaks:

So I am almost ready for Senior Celebration. Kendra and I have to go to The Chrsitmas Tree Shops (a discount store in our area) tomorrow and get some picture frames and then it is just being available for set up.

This is a HUGE event for us every year. I think it has a sort of funeral feel. The parents set up tables with tons of pictures of their kids on Science Project Board displays and on the table they sit old baby clothes, toys, trophies and things. It is creepy. I obviously inherited this event.

Each parent used to write a letter and read it aloud to the congregation. TALK ABOUT LONG, BORING AND SAPPY! Most of them could not make it through Dear (insert child's name here) without crying and then most of the rest of the letter was delivered through sobs. THEY AREN'T DEAD THEY ARE JUST GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL!

So this year we had a large class (14 Seniors participating) so we are having the parents write a ONE PAGE letter and we are framing them and sitting them on the "funeral table" with the other stuff.

Anyway I have been so busy this week with multi media presentations and getting the buletin together and stuff that I just want it to be over.

I know I will get emotional on Sunday evening. These are the kids who were in the summer after their eigth grade year when we came to this church. They have all been really active and are a great group of committed, Christian kids. I love them a lot. Especailly the three boys I have mentored for those four years. The parents are all only losing one kid each. I have to deal with losing 14 all at once!

So pray that I won't turn into a blubbering idiot on Sunday night. I will really appreciate Monday morning when it is all over. Then come the 14 graduation parties ...

1 comment:

Tina said...

hehehehehehe... funeral tables. The homescholl association in Muskogee used to do this with their graduates every year!