Tuesday, May 11, 2004

A Weekend!

Jasper Speaks:

We had such a great weekend in youth ministry! We went to the Maine Christian Teen Convention held at Bangor Auditorium in Bangor, Maine. It was a good weekend all around. The music side of the weekend was a highlight as far as national acts go. I loved Geoff Morre and Casting Crowns! I had seem them both in concert in the past year so their formats had not really changed but both acts refreshed my heart. I believe that Geoff Moore is quite possibly the nicest guy in Christian music!

Mark Hall of Casting Crowns always delivers a great testimony to the work of God and it moves me greatly. I think I admire his transparency and the fact that he is a youth pastor doesn't hurt either. I was especially encouraged that Casting Crowns sees their ministry as a worship opportunity not just a concert. The presence of the Lord was very evident.

Ryan Dobson was also excellent. I have never left an event like this one where the kids were talking more about how much they loved the speaker than anything else.

But as is often the case the best part of this weekend was not the "formal" ministry time but the time spent with the students. We had a great over night stay in Bangor on Friday and on Saturday night we came back and everyone spent the night at our house. It was a lot of fun. There are so many funny stories that I wish I had time to share. But mostly this weekend was about building unity and relationships. We had such a good time just being silly and being ourselves. God moved in serious conversations. He also moved in our time of fun and silliness. Maybe I will post some of the details of both of those things as I get more time.

No comments: