Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Best Movie Song

The AFI Speaks:

AFI List "Over the Rainbow"
By Joal Ryan

We needed a list to tell us "Over the Rainbow" is the greatest movie song of all time?

Probably not, but the detail-oriented types at the American Film Institute have spelled it out anyway, affixing Dorothy Gale's Kansas lament from the The Wizard of Oz to the top of its latest water-cooler-argument starter, "100 Years...100 Songs."

The tuneful list was revealed Tuesday in a three-hour CBS special hosted by disco-era musical god John Travolta, whose pipes, along with those of Olivia Newton-John, helped lift "Summer Nights" from Grease to the 70th spot.

The rest of the Top 10, meanwhile, was filled out with the usual iconic suspects: "As Time Goes By," from Casablanca; "Singin' in the Rain," from Singin' in the Rain; "Moon River," from Breakfast at Tiffany's; "White Christmas," from Holiday Inn; "Mrs. Robinson," from The Graduate; "When You Wish Upon a Star," from Pinocchio; "The Way We Were," from The Way We Were; "Stayin' Alive," from Saturday Night Fever; and "The Sound of Music," from, yes, The Sound of Music.

Click Here To See The Complete List Of 100 Songs

Jasper Speaks:

In another example of the fact that I have NO LIFE, I watched this show last night. For the most part, I sat alone and sang a long with a lot of the songs. I am a pop culture geek and so I was at least a bit interested in the program.

As is the case with most of these types of shows there were many times that I was like, "Huh? Why did that song make it?" I mean does it make sense that an obscure song like "I'm Easy" from the movie Nashville would be 18 slots higher than "Hakuna Matata"?

But the top five are all truly classics. I love "Moon River" and "As Time Goes By". I still am a bit perplexed as to why "Stayin' Alive" made the top ten but I have never really understood people's fascination with Saturday Night Fever anyway.

I think I do agree that "Over The Rainbow" is the best ever. What a great song. It almost wasn't in the movie because they thought it slowed down the pace. But it remained and now is considered the best song ever in a movie. Wow.

I guess it is good that I don't put these things together myself. I would probably be laughed out of Hollywood (which isn't such a bad thing) because my favorite soundtrack is "Sister Act 2". I would have put "Joyful, Joyful" on my list for sure. As well as "Down By The Riverside" from The Fighting Temptations. Neither movie was a blockbuster but those are soundtracks I love. (I also like the soundtrack to the movie Fame but I think it is more because I went to a Performing Arts High School than anything else).

All in all, Jasper only has good things to say about the AFI list. I could have done with a lot less Barbra Streisand on the list but realize that I have some issues there! It was pretty much a waste of a good Tuesday night but I enjoyed the walk through Movie Land quite a bit.

No comments: