Sunday, September 05, 2004

Quote For The Day

John Stott Speaks:
"Before we can begin to see the cross as something done for us, we have to see it as something done by us."

Jasper Speaks:
Yesterday I bought the DVD The Passion Of The Christ as well as the CD of songs inspired by the movie. I saw the movie twice in the theater (once it was just Kendra and me and once with our small groups). I haven't watched it again yet but am planning to do so in the next week or so.

I bought the CD as a result of seeing Bart Millard, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Third Day on Jay Leno Thursday night. They sang a song from the CD called, I See Love. I like the song very much so I thought I would check out the whole CD. There are about four songs on the CD that really speak to me. One of those is the Kirk Franklin/Yolanda Adams tune, How Many Lashes. It is very convicting as it speaks to how many lashes our sin cost Christ. I think for most people the scourging scene is the most moving in the entire film. That scene made the suffering of Christ so much more real to me.

Then I came across this quote. Coupled with my recent quiet time and Bible study, God spoke to me. You see my time in God's Word lately has really been emphasizing my sin and the consequences. As I read this quote it reminded me that I am personally responsible for Christ's death on the cross. MY SIN put him there. Yet, God, in His unfathomable brilliance used the very spot where my sins were laid to provide my atonement. I caused Christ to die on the cross through my greed, pleasure seeking, pride and constant failures. God however, said on this cross you will find hope and the price forever paid for your sins.

I have discovered that I cannot look on the cross without seeing that it is there because I am a sinful man. Yet God has demonstrated His own love for me in this, that while I was still an unbelieving sinner, Christ died there and paid in full the penalty for my sin. The cross is both a symbol of my failure and God's triumph. His ways are higher than my own.

No comments: