Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Quote For Today:

Lidie H. Edmunds Speaks:

"My faith has found a resting place, not in device nor creed; I trust the ever-living One, his wounds for me shall plead. I need no other argument, I need no other plea, It is enough that Jesus died, and that he died for me. "

Jasper Speaks:

This is not the most well known hymn, but these words cut to the heart. I believe that even the strongest Christian can be fooled by the devil into believing that there is something we can do to earn entry into life eternal. However, God makes it perfectly clear that only by accepting His free gift of salvation can paradise be gained. Our pride often gets in the way of understanding that we can do nothing to earn such a great salvation. When we feel that we have done something great for God, He must immediately humble us so that we remember that it is by grace alone that we are successful at anything.

We need not list the wonderful things we have done for God. He is not impressed by those things. He actually loves us so much that he says, "Hush child, you don't have to convince me to love you. I loved you before you ever knew you wanted my love." There is no argument needed. All that is needed is for us to accept God's grace gift to us.

For a long time I struggled with God loving me in spite of my sin. I am not sure I ever even realized that I was not allowing myself to accept His love. I would fall and then rush to do so many right things to make up for the sins I had committed. I was picturing God holding a cosmic score sheet and though I knew better, I was trying to even the score of my deeds all the time. I was not only in bondage to my desires and pride but I was also in bondage to my lack of faith that grace was enough. I wanted to perform, to earn my place with God in eternity.

I had to step away from the behavior driven from my unbelief just as I had to step away from sins. I had to make a concious choice to let God's love and grace be sufficient for me. I had to come to the point where I lived a life driven by the fact that good deeds are not ways to earn my salvation but the means by which I am given the privilege of expressing my appreciation of that salvation. It was then, and only then, I began to understand that I would never fully fathom the awesome power of the grace of God.

"It is enough that Jesus died and that He died for me."

No comments: