Tuesday, December 21, 2004

God Is Good

Jasper Speaks:

So much of what I have had to say over the past few weeks has been negative and self serving. Tonight I want to share with you an awesome way God has shown us His love. Tonight was the last night for me to lead Homefires, our youth ministry's small group program. I have a group of five guys who meet every Tuesday night at my house for Bible study. We have had a guy's group the whole time we have been here. It started with three guys God led me to invite to be a part of a cell group when I first got here. That group added a fourth after three years and then last spring we opened it up to all the senior high guys and we had about eight. There were times that the Bible study was really good and lots of times it was just a bonding time and not a lot of God's business ever seemed to get done. Last year the original three guys graduated. I didn't know if the group would continue.

This fall however, the best part of being here has been Homfires for me. We have been using Doug Fields' Life Together series and it has been phenomenal! The guys have been growing and opening up and I have loved every minute of it. The hardest part of my leaving here was the thought of leaving these guys behind. This week another male youth leader stepped up and will be taking the study over when I leave. He is very competent. He came for the first time tonight. Tonight was the best Homefires we have ever had.

One of the guy's in our group's name is Jamin. He is a great kid. He is a lot of fun to be around and I love him a lot. He plays the role of the clown and the dumb guy but has a very deep intellect and is a critical thinker at heart. I have really seen this through Homefires this fall.

I just thought I would share with you the exciting news from Homefires tonight. The guy's group has been doing a study called Surrendering:Giving Up Your Life For Christ. As we discussed the lesson this evening, Jamin opened up about concerns about his salvation. It was incredible to watch the guys of the group rally around him with love and support. Jason (the other leader) had great words to share with him about struggles he has had in the past as well. As we continued talking, Jamin decided that he wanted to sincerely pray and ask God to take control of his life. We prayed together and he ask Christ into His life! He was visibly changed. He was excited that he could know for sure that he had salvation and was very happy to have the assurance of salvation. I am humbled that God allowed me to be a part of this and it is incredible to see how God used the closeness that comes from small group ministries to allow Jamin to be transparent with us! I am so excited!

It is also amazing to me that God would show me that He uses us right up until the calling is fulfilled. I leave this ministry Sunday afternoon and on the Tuesday before He was gracious enough to allow me to lead an incredible kid to Him. Even though I have been griping and complaining for three weeks, He allowed me to be a part of this moment. WOW! I must say I never had questioned our decision to leave quite as much as during the closing prayer of Homefires tonight. Still, I know God has a plan and tonight He allowed me to be a part of it. I thank Him for that opportunity. I pray that this post will be an encouragement to my fellow brothers who I know are going through this same difficult process right now. God will continue to use us. That is an amazing thing. Tonight He brought me to a place of remembrance that this is all about Him and not about me. I still don't know why He is calling me away but as I sit here in front of my computer with a huge smile I rest assured in the fact that the angels are rejoicing as I type. God is good even when we doubt.

1 comment:

Todd Porter said...

jasper,

thanks for that encouragement! i can understand how you feel when you say taht you are really wondering what God is doing in all of this and being able to see how you handle this is helping me as i walk through this! thanks and have a safe trip, i am and have been praying for you!


following Him,
todd
the_snuffy