Sunday, January 16, 2005

Of Long Journeys, Blown Head Gaskets and Unemployment Part Two

Jasper Speaks:

Sorry this update has benn so long in coming. So, we pulled out that afternoon from State College, PA. I hope I never have to go to State College, PA again. Our original plans were to stop over in Indianaoplis the second day but we didn't get out of State College until after noon so we altered our plans.

Once again, Ocean Properties in Maine came to our rescue and Kendra was able to call the guy who replaced her in her position and reserve new rooms in Dayton, Ohio instead. By the time we arrived there that evening all four of us were glad that we decided to only drive 8 hours rather than 10. We enjoyed pizza together and slept.

The whole trip was not an easy time for me to sleep. I was constantly waking up due to discomfort in bed or general worry about our lives. The night we spent in State College, PA, I literally woke up every hour at some point. There were some hours I woke up two or three times or more. So when Kendra suggested that she and Michele ride together for awhile and I moved into the truck with professional driver, Dennis, I completely collapsed into deep sleep. I slept hard for about two hours and that really helped. When I woke up we were nearly to the Illinois border in Indiana. St. Louis was in sight and the "miles to" signs bore its name.

We still had one problem. My parents live on a very residental street where parking is a premium. So we had t find a place to park our van. Thankfully I still have a great relationship with the Senior Pastor of the church I left to move to Maine. He allowed me to park the van on his gravel lot adjacent to the church parking lot.

There was a mixture of joy and tears as we spied the Gateway Arch while driving over the Poplar Street Bridge from Illinois to Missouri. There was relief that we were home but sadness that our life as we had known it was over.

My sister Darla and a few of our friends met us at teh stoage place. It took us a little over an hour to unload the truck there and repack it with the things we needed to move into my parent's house. After we unladed at my folks (let me just say moving a king sized bed into a VERY small basement is a great way to use all that geometry from high school) we went to the Marriott St. Louis West with Michele and Dennis to get a full night's sleeep.

The next morning Kendra's sister came to the hotel to meet us to take usto Kendra's mom's to celebrate the New Year and a belated Christmas with our family in North Central Missouri. I needed to go with Michele and Dennis to return the U-Haul and Kendra had a job interview so we scattered. Just as we arrived at the U-Haul facility my cell phone rang and it was Kendra saying she had been offered the job. She wasn't sure exactly what it was doing but she was scheduled to start the following Monday. One of us would be employed.

After returning the truck, I took Michele and Dennis home. They live in Festus, which is about 25 miles south of my parents in St. Louis. I got out and looked around their new home and then got back into our car to meet Kendra and Aislinn and someof Ailsinn's friends for lunch. As I pulled out of the driveway, the car died. I had taken about all I could at this point and Dennis came out and gave me a push back up the driveway. I was completely overwhelmed. I had no idea what to do. I was so stressed out I couldn't think. Dennis check a few things and I got back in the car. This time it started. I had missed lunch but was happy that the car was going to get me home.

We had a lovely two day visit with our NC MO family and headed back to St. Louis to finally move into the basement. My parents are quite possibly the worst pack rats in America. We have so little room here but have tried to make due and keep a good attitude.

Kendra went to work that Monday. She had a horrible experienced and begged me to let her quit. I caved and she quit the job after one day. However, she had landed another interview for Wednesday and after that interview she was employed again at a company that she really likes. She is still looking for a hotel job but this one is easy and good for her in the meantime.

I have not been so luck. Even though I have sent out over 100 resumes, I still have not had any good solid leads. I just want to be a Youth Pastor but that door seems closed at the moment. I have interview at a couple of places and left frustrated by the whole process. Also, why is every HR or Manager in the world a 21 year old punk who reminds me of all the guys I hated in High School. Sometimes I feel like I am living a really bad reality show.

This past Friday I interviewed for a position with Enterprise rent a car. The world headquarters for reservations is located in St. Louis. I think I nailed the interview but I shouldn't hear back from them until the end of the week. The hours completely suck because they would be from 1PM to 10 PM three weekdays a week and every Saturday and Sunday. I will take it for now if they offer it to me but I seriously need to find something with regular hours so I can get involved in church and have some semblence of a life.

We have visited one church and we really liked it. We are going back next Sunday. We have met with the pastor and our meeting was very good. I think it could be a place of healing and service for us. Please continue to pray that God would open a door for joobs for both of us. Kendra specifically needs a salaried position in the hotel industry and I of course would love for a YP job to fall into my lap but would just be happy with a stable 9-5 Monday - Friday position. The journey continues ...

No comments: