Thursday, January 20, 2005

Recommended Reading


Jasper Speaks:

So the other day I drove Kendra to work and because I am unemployed I had nothing to do. She was only working for three hours that day so I knew I needed to kill sometime.

I wound up at a Borders and just started looking around. I got to the Religion section where I stopped and started looking through the John Eldredge section. I pull out three books and headed to the borders cafe.

I ordered a Mocha capuccino and opened up Epic : The Story God Is Telling and the Role That Is Yours to Play. It was a small book of only 106 pages so I thought I would see how far I could get. By the time I needed to leave I had finished the whole book.

He uses popular movies and literature to drive home his point. Eldredge tells the story in four parts: Eternal Love (a personal God creating a personal universe); The Entrance of Evil (Satan the villain); The Battle for the Heart (God's calling humans to love him), and The Kingdom Is Restored (God, through Christ, makes all things new). As in past books, Eldredge illuminates scripture using movies (Braveheart, The Matrix, Apollo 13 and The Last of the Mohicans) and literature, including Yeats, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Chronicles of Narnia. That really helped to relate it to me and the way I think. It challenged me to remember that there are two worlds that I live in. One is the reality that is the crusty old earth where I reside, the other is the spiritual one that is eternal.

I enjoyed the book very much. It challenged me. There is one portion of the book where Eldredge brings hell and the consequences of sin into a new light for me. He talks about hell being the natural consequence of sin because it is giving us over to our desire to be on our own. It means utter separation from God but in sinning and seeking our own way, isn't that what we are saying we want all along?

It was deep. I didn't buy it because I am broke but I enjoyed my afternoon of reading in the Borders Cafe. I was able to be alone and listen to what God had to say to me that day. I recommend that you check this one out.


No comments: