Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Journey Continues

Jasper Speaks:

I am learning a lot about myself and about God lately. I am learning that I am a terribly impatient person. I want what I want and I want it NOW! I am learning that God prefers to watch us wait and see how well we handle the stress. At once that can be frustrating and humbling for me.

I think we have really found the church where we are supposed to heal. Heartland Baptist Church is a great community of believers. Henry Blackaby says, find a place where God is at work and get involved. For us, I think Heartland is that place. It is refreshing to worship in a church that holds the Bible in high regard but can also think outside of the box in ministry. For the first time in years I am anxious and excited about going to a worship service. God is really working there and I am longing to get in the door in a great way and find out how he can use me.

I am finding that I want to be an encouragement to my Pastor. For years I was on the other side of the pulpit and I know how hard it can get to be there. I love the pastor, Darren Casper, at Heartland. he has a heart for God and articulates that heart so well from the pulpit. I have really been fed by what he has to share on Sunday mornings. The music worship is also encouraging.

We are hoping to find our niche with friends there. That so far has been the missing link for us. I am praying that God will open doors there soon for us.

Still, I think that God is teaching us so much about what it feels like to be on the outside of a church ministry. The struggles with finding your place can be hard. I think He is also teaching us to appreciate life in the ministry. I think I often took it for granted. I am seeing what a priviledge it really is.

There is so much more to be learned on this road that God has set out for us. It is not always easy to learn the lessons He has planned for us. In fact a lot of the times I am not very happy to be in the spiritual classroom like this. Yet, I am feeling a closeness and connection with the Creator that I have not felt in quite some time. I have regrets in my past, but I know that if I am pursuing holiness, that spiritually the future for me can be very bright. It is exciting to see God move in both my life and Kendra's as well. The journey has not just begun but this stretch of the road is looking as though it could really be a faith defining time of growth and exploration. We are hanging on for dear life and know the ride will never be boring.

No comments: