Tuesday, July 05, 2005


A New Phase


Jasper Speaks:

So, it seems God is opening a new door for us. I received a call today from Riverview Gardens School District offering me a high school teaching position. I had previously accepted a teaching job with a tiny Christian School. That school and its salary could not provide for us unless I had a second job as well. I never signed a contract with the Christian school but I am going on Thursday to sign one with the public school.

I will be calling the Christian school and telling them that I can not work there. However, I have a dear friend (shout out to Michele Sweet) who just resigned her public teaching position and now wants to teach in a small private school. I will be suggesting they call her (or she call them) as a replacement for me. I am sure it will be a tad bit ugly in the transition but I hope they will understand that the public school will start me at double what they were going to pay. I also am concerned for them and don't want to leave them high and dry. In the end they will be getting so much more out of Michele. She is much more experienced and I know she will help take them to the next level as they would like.

I have some serious frets about all of this. It will be my first time in a classroom as the teacher. It will be my first time in the classroom other than some minor subbing jobs since my student teaching. The school district is one full of "At Risk" students. They have metal detectors. It could be an interesting year safety wise. I have a burden for kids from this type of background I just have never been outside of a church setting working with them. I suppose we will see how well it goes.

I find myself wondering what the future will hold. Is this a new path that will lead me away from Youth Ministry forever? In my heart I am still a Youth Pastor. Still, I have to work as a teacher for now. I still would love to be back in full-time m ministry permanently but that doesn't seem to be God's plan for now. Perhaps there will be a part time job out there for me. I don't know. I am trusting in His plan. Please pray that all will go with very little hindrances.

No comments: