Sunday, August 14, 2005

Full Circle

Jasper Speaks:

Tonight I sat on the ordination council for one of my former students, Matt Clements. It is the first time I have ever done that. He is graduating seminary next spring. Man, that makes me feel old. I was proud to be the one chosen to present him for ordination. He accepted the call to ministry when he was in my first full-time youth ministry. I am pretty proud of the young man he has become.

This entry is called full circle because of my history with Matt. I had been on staff at First Baptist Lemay for about six months when I started my student teaching. Matt was in my fifth period class. As a result of our relationship in the classroom Matt (and his younger brother James who has ALSO accepted a call to ministry) started coming to our youth group. James was the first person I ever baptized.

So you see as I go into the classroom tomorrow, I need to remember Matt. I need to remember that I can make a spiritual difference even in a dark place.

I have been training for two weeks for tomorrow. I am apprehensive to be teaching again. The school district is rough and I am rusty. Still, I need to think about Matt and the difference a teacher made in the life of student.

No comments: