Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Currently Reading
To Kill a Mockingbird
By Harper Lee
see related

Jasper Speaks:

Purpose. It is a small word with a punch. Companies release purpose statements. The Purpose Driven Life is the best selling book ever outside of the Bible. Often we ask, "why am I here"? I think this is on my mind because the Christian Science "church" I pass on my way to work every morning has a question on their sign. It says, "Where did we come from and why are we here"? Is this the cry of the human soul? Are we born with this question burning in our deep within us?

I think that purpose is something that we can find. That purpose is simple. Love God and love people. None of this is revolutionary. Rick Warren lays it out plainly in the aforementioned book. He basis his thesis on the Great Commandment:

He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind.'"

and the Great Commission:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Great concepts but how do we live these out in the everyday?

Loving God is all about devotion. Devotion is defined this way:

Profound dedication; consecration.

How do we achieve profound dedication? Well we can't be dedicated to someone with whom we are not spending time. We have to communicate to be devoted. We need to spend time every day in conversation with God. The Bible says we are supposed to pray constantly. Although hard to do, it is amazing to think about being completely consumed by communication with God.

I once heard Rob Bell speak and he brought up an interesting point. He said that we are born to praise God. Not a revolutionary concept I know but he brought up something from the Hebrew language that has stuck with me for a long time. He told us that the sacred word, YHWH (the name of God in Hebrew), actually when pronounced correctly sounds like taking a breath. So, in essence, when we come out of our mother's womb and take our first breath, we speak the name of God. When we rattle out our last breath as we die, we are in a way, calling out His name as well. We begin and end life, in communication with and calling out the name of the Creator.

One of the best things that ever happened to me was when van's radio stopped working. Because of a theft device error, my radio won't turn on at all. It just sits there like a decorative ornament on my dashboard. At first I really missed it. I wanted to karaoke to bad country music on my way to work. I wanted to yell at political pundants that I disagreed with on the way home. I did not want to be lonely.

Radio-dial

Then I realized that not having a radio was really a blessing. God was providing a way for me a way to spend more time with him (I almost said forcing but I think that is not very theologically sound). Last year my morning commute was about forty minutes. This year it is right at thirty. With no radio, I now can take that time and spend it focused on God. I find that some mornings I sing praise songs in the car. I open myself up to a morning worship in song session. I can sing praises and prepare my heart for the day that way.

Even on those mornings, however, I spend time just praying. I ask God to bless my day. I ask Him to make me a better man of God. I ask Him to bless those I love. I ask Him to speak to me as well. We communicate. All because of a weird factory defect in my van. I have found that most mornings I even skip the singing and go right to talking things out with God.

I have found that my heart is more sensitive to His leading when we are in the van alone together. I am willing to listen. I am open to change. The morning makes me ready to accept challenges. I am ready for my day because I have spent quality time with God.

These times have helped me live life on purpose. I have been able to better understand the Great Commandment. At those wee hours of the morning, I am able to really pursue complete devotion. I am not always profoundly dedicated during these times but God uses them to teach me to love Him with my heart, soul, mind and strength. These times help to remind me that the first purpose of my life is to chase after Christ not only in the morning hours but throughout the entire day. I am called to love Him with profound dedication and complete devotion. I have learned that this begins with spending time with Him.

That's about it for today. Perhaps tomorrow I will pontificate on the other half of this idea of purpose. I hope you have an incredible day walking in the victory of our Lord!

1 comment:

Nicole Ouellette said...

Hi Jasper,

I enjoy your spiritual reflections. Actually, I think readers of our newspaper website would enjoy them also. Would you be interested in crossposting? Check out http://www.ellsworthmaine.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9877&Itemid=213. My contact information is on that page; just let me know if this interests you. Until then, keep up your good work.

Nicole Ouellette
The Ellsworth American

P.S. On a more personal note, my youth minister in high school made such an impact on me. She was one of my greatest mentors until her death last year. Glad there are people like you still working with youth!