Friday, January 18, 2008

Jasper Speaks:

I am very tired today. I was at the hospital until about 10:15 last night. I was the last one there and felt guilty when I left. Still got up at 4:45 and still started teaching at 6:30. I don't know how long I can keep this up. I did go by the Central Office for my district yesterday and got the paperwork for FLMA leave. I think mom has to be out of the hospital before it can work. The district rule is you have to burn through your sick time (I have four days left I think) before FLMA can be in place but when you are through you can tap into the sick bank for up to 60 days before you go without pay and benefits. I am sure I will not need that much time.

Mom had an awful day yesterday. She was asleep and non-responsive all day and night. My dad had an altercation with a nurse and I question the quality of care form her that followed that moment. We are requesting that the nurse be removed from the rotation of mom's providers. We are meeting with the care team today to make the final dialysis decision. It is not easy bit in the end the painful dialysis treatments are only adding days to weeks of life. It doesn't seem worth it to see her in pain for such a little reward.

Dad seemed to be coming to terms with this situation's finality yesterday. It is so difficult for him. They will be married 55 years on February 5. I know it has to be hard. Please continue to pray that God will give him strength in this time.

Well, I am on my plan period and am nearly falling asleep typing this, so I will go and catch a 20 minute nap before my next class gets here. Thanks for all of your concerns.

No comments: