Friday, April 11, 2008

Jasper Speaks:

A couple of reviews:

What Matters Most when NO is better than YES
What Matters Most when NO is better than YES by Doug Fields

It has been a few weeks since I finished this one. I love DF and have enjoyed anything I have ever read that he wrote. This very short read took me awhile to get through. It think part of the reason is that I haven't had the time but also, it deals with saying no in ministry and for so long ministry has been a "hobby" more than a "job". Still, I finished one day and the next my pastor asked me to speak at a deacon's meeting the one night the following week that I didn't have to be out of the house. It gave me the courage to say no without guilt and to say why. I think it was a good reminder as to what is most important. I want my family to know that they are my #1 priority. Working these two jobs the last 8 months hasn't necessarily displayed this. I think Doug has some great insight into why we need to walk away from the guilt and just say no.

Partnering With Parents in Youth Ministry
Partnering With Parents in Youth Ministry by Jim Burns and Mike Devries

I really flew through this book. I thought it gave some great perspective on how to implement a more family centered ministry. I found that the why section was challenging to me as a pastor. I have felt the pull to be a more parent concerned Youth Pastor for awhile now and God confirmed I got so much out of the building a strategy chapter and the obstacles chapter. Also, I think their descriptions of the generations and their characteristics was spot on! I wold highly recommend this book to anyone who is the vision caster in their student ministry. It is challenging and thought provoking.

And now the house update ...

Closing went REALLY well and I am now a home owner (okay the bank is letting me live in the house that I guess they technically own). VERY frightening! I had a lot of frustration with getting paint stuff and really got very angry at the Maryland Heights Post Office because they are pretty much useless. They are calling for snow and rain tomorrow. GREAT! It is supposed to be very cold as well. Fun.

I really do like the house. Kendra stayed there last night until about 9:00 painting the basement family room. She didn't like the first color enough to paint the whole room that way, so she bought an accent color after I left that I haven't seen but she is pleased with. In the end, I am a dude, I don't care what color it is. I am happy if she is happy.

We will go back this afternoon after work and try to finish the painting tonight and clean. We still have much packing to do at the condo. It is a bit stressful but knowing on Sunday I will be SO CLOSE to church helps. It makes me smile! It should scare the masses that I am a homeowner since I know NOTHING about home maintenance. We'll see.

God has really blessed us!

No comments: