Friday, May 23, 2008

Jasper Speaks:

Yesterday was my ninth wedding anniversary and I spent it being a youth pastor. I went to see Indiana Jones with a recent graduate. We had been having a hard time during this last semester of his senior year. It was nice to reconnect. I love him and our strained relationship was hard on me. We had Lamar Donuts. YUM!

Then I took my dad out to lunch and made sure he got enough for dinner too. This was a non-Youth Pastor moment in the day. It was nice. I love him very much. Being with him really makes me miss my mom. A lot.

Then I had dinner at home with Kendra and Jackson. Just as we got Jackson to bed and we were sitting down to watch the season finale of Grey's Anatomy, there was a knock at the door. A teen in crisis. He ended up spending the night. Some concerned friends came by for awhile. After a few phone calls, I fell into bed. I go up this morning and drove the kid to school where he needed to take his finals. I am picking him up after school. I hope he has a plan of what he will do next. He knows he can't stay with us permanently.

Tonight, if all goes as planned, we will have dinner in a nice restaurant and goto a movie. I am praying for a nice, romantic evening. We will see. As the day click off as a teacher, my "old life" is returning. I love kids. Now I guess they really become a major part of my life again. Even on my anniversary.

1 comment:

c.w. goad said...

Great to know we have some youth pastors out there willing to invest time and energy into their students.

I'm a former youth pastor and I know it can be hard. It's amazing the difference you're making even when you don't know it though.

C