Friday, January 18, 2008

Jasper Speaks:

I am very tired today. I was at the hospital until about 10:15 last night. I was the last one there and felt guilty when I left. Still got up at 4:45 and still started teaching at 6:30. I don't know how long I can keep this up. I did go by the Central Office for my district yesterday and got the paperwork for FLMA leave. I think mom has to be out of the hospital before it can work. The district rule is you have to burn through your sick time (I have four days left I think) before FLMA can be in place but when you are through you can tap into the sick bank for up to 60 days before you go without pay and benefits. I am sure I will not need that much time.

Mom had an awful day yesterday. She was asleep and non-responsive all day and night. My dad had an altercation with a nurse and I question the quality of care form her that followed that moment. We are requesting that the nurse be removed from the rotation of mom's providers. We are meeting with the care team today to make the final dialysis decision. It is not easy bit in the end the painful dialysis treatments are only adding days to weeks of life. It doesn't seem worth it to see her in pain for such a little reward.

Dad seemed to be coming to terms with this situation's finality yesterday. It is so difficult for him. They will be married 55 years on February 5. I know it has to be hard. Please continue to pray that God will give him strength in this time.

Well, I am on my plan period and am nearly falling asleep typing this, so I will go and catch a 20 minute nap before my next class gets here. Thanks for all of your concerns.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Jasper Speaks:

I got a call from Darla tonight saying that the Doctor came in and talked to she and dad. The news was grim. Sher had a very bad dialysis day and he feels that the treatments are only hurting her. He is suggesting that we immediately stop the treatments. She will stay on the drug that helps keep the blood pressure up as her and she will slowly slip from us in a peaceful way. The doctors believe that will happen in about a week or two. Of course mom has always been one to defy the odds so I would not be surprised if she held out just a little longer to prove them wrong! :) Seriously, it is a difficult time for us but I know that any day she could have ultimate healing and that brings reassurance.

The question now becomes, what next? Do we have her come home? Do we take her to a care facility? Does she spend those last few days in one of our homes? Does she stay at the hospital? When initially asked she seemed reluctant to leave the hospital. We want what she wants and what will be best for her.

Please especially pray for dad. He seemed to hear the doctors only say that she could come home. His love for her is great and he is having such a hard time accepting the demise. Pray for us as we know how best to minister to him.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for praying.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Currently Watching
American Idol - The Best & Worst of American Idol ( Limited Edition )
By Carrie Underwood, Bo Bice
see related

Jasper Speaks:

The report from the doctor today was not as earth shattering as we may ave expected. He is new to mom's case and saw her yesterday (which apparently was one of the WORSE days she has had throughout this experience) bit was not aware of how up and down she could be. So when he saw her today and she was sitting up and lucid, it changed his thoughts a bot. It ended up being
a conversation mostly that confirmed what we already knew. Mom is not going to get any better than she is now. It is the drugs that are keeping her as good as she is and they have been steadily increasing the meds to maintain her health. He encouraged us to let mom, in her very lucid state, make a final decision on the DNR order. After talking and coming the the conclusion that, unless the Lord intervenes, that she is never going to be better than right now. Even though he could not give us a timeline, the end is eminent.

We then went into her room and asked mom what she wanted and she, without a beat, she told us if she went into cardiac arrest, she would want no heroic measures. Although this is NEVER something you want to hear, there was a peace in the room at the time she told us this. We proceeded to make her wishes known to the hospital staff. Darla and I spent the rest of the afternoon there alone with her (as dad went to run a few errands) and it was a sweet, special time.

Please continue to pray as the coming days will be hard for sure. Dad is still having a great amount of difficulty accepting all of this. Please pray that he will come to acceptance and that we will have the patience we need to help him get there.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Jasper Speaks:

The doctors have requested that the whole family meet with him (or her) tomorrow at 10AM. We don't know what to expect (but I am pretty certain it is not good). Please pray for us that we will take the news in God's peace and get a real sense of the Spirit's leading in what I am sure will be difficult decisions to be made.