Friday, May 22, 2009

Jasper Speaks:

I have never been good at conflict. I hate it actually. I find it hard to approach. I think it is because I am a people pleaser. I want people to like me and conflict means someone is not happy with me. It is an area in ministry that I have been trying to work on for years. Kendra has helped and I think I understand that conflict is best resolved sooner rather than later.

With that in mind, I have a meeting today with a set of parents. One of their children graduated last year, one is in the youth group and two more are on their way. The oldest kid and I have had some issues this first year he has been out of the group. It has hurt me on some levels and saddened me on most.

I have not had opportunity to discuss this with the parents and it has been an issue since the beginning of the school year. I am praying for grace and wisdom in this situation. I am praying that my words would be kind and loving and restorative. I just hate conflict.



On the other hand, today is my 10th wedding anniversary. That kind of blows my mind. I don't feel old enough to have been married ten years. Still, I look at all we have weathered and how much we have grown and I am amazed at God's wisdom. There is no doubt that Kendra is the woman God created for me. I grabbed her up at the age of 21 and took her away to Maine at 22. When I think about how young that is now, it blows my mind. She was beautiful on the day I married her and has only gotten more beautiful every day. My mom used to say that Kendra got prettier every time she saw her. I agree.

I trust her with my life and love. She is an amazing mommy. She has made great sacrifices for the well being of our family. She has taught me so much about life and relationships. I am a better man because of her encouragement (and yes) sometimes even her prodding. I never understood the two becoming one concept until I married this incredible woman. Now I know that we are one person. God made us to live this life together. I am exceedingly blessed that such a beautiful, kind, stable woman was made for me.

Ten years have flown by. I love being married. I love spending my life with someone. I love coming home to her every day. Sure marriage is hard but God has resided in the center of ours and I don't look back at these ten years as all that difficult. I love her and cherish her. I could never really deserve her. But that is the great thing about God's grace, all too often we get what we don't deserve. In this case I get to keep it for the rest of my life. I am so undeserving of her love. And His.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Happy 10 years! :) What a lovely tribute to your wife. :)