Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jasper Speaks:

I sincerely dislike when I get too busy to write for pleasure. This has been a long semester of classes. I have written 14 papers/projects this semester. That sucks the fun right out of writing altogether. I want to learn. I just can't stand all the work that comes with it. At least I have a bit of a breather before my class starts for January term. I know God's plan worked perfectly but there is a part of me that wishes I would have finished seminary 15 years ago when I started. Being in full-time ministry hardly affords the time I need to work on class assignments. Watching 50 hours or so of online classes was exhilarating. Well, not really.

Ministry is treading water. I am not feeling like HUGE things are happening but I am noticing a slow and steady maturity in some of our students. Especially the boys. That is something our ministry has lacked ever since I have been here and for a long time before me. It is hard to understand why with such a godly church but the teen years for guys have been hard and they have lacked the zeal to lead. This group of guys we have that are sophomores and juniors now seem to take their Christianity seriously. It is exciting to watch them living out their faith.

This fall I was published in Group magazine. That was a privilege. I also will be published on the Simply Youth Ministry website again soon. It amazes me that God uses me this way.

Our personal drama website youthministerman.com has had a lot of hits over the past few months. That is encouraging. Kendra and I want to totally revamp it next year and make it a site for a lot of resources for youth pastors. It is a dream but we hope it can come to life.

Now for some random thoughts:

My kid is seriously the cutest kid on the planet. You may think yours is but trust me you are wrong.

I love that my wife can stay home. It strengthens our family. It helps our son.

I love that we got to eat out free tonight at one of our favorite restaurants all because I was in the right place at the right time. Go God!

I am so uncertain of what is "next" in my life. I am trying to trust the next five minutes to God before I sweat about the next five years.

Three of the coolest events of this fall have been: Michelle moving across the street; Allison's wedding and having lunch with Mike my dear friend from high school.

Christmas is going to be so much fun this year since the boy is now 3 1/2 and totally gets it!

Christmas always makes me miss my mom. That stinks.

I love that God provides. We were so worried about Christmas gifts when a rebate gift card came in the mail three weeks early!

I went to the doctor today. I don't like going to the doctor. It was much easier than I had thought it would be.

I want to get back on the eat healthy and exercise bandwagon. It can be really hard.

I think it is fun to call Aaron up and tell him how much the boy misses him. I think it is cool that the boy really does miss him a lot.

I cannot wait until seminary is behind me. I am having such a frustrating experience.

My sister rocks. She just does.

I love Glee and The Good Wife. I thought I would love Flash Forward but it tanked. I probably won't even watch it when it comes back on in March.

I don't think I care at all about American Idol anymore. I still LOVE The Amazing Race and get way too caught up in the last episode every time. Just ask Betsy about this year.

The Blindside was an AMAZING movie. I hope Hollywood recognizes it.

To Save A Life was also AMAZING. I hope the church can use it to spread truth and change student's lives. I pray that it will convict every student ministry in the USA.

God's grace is so beyond my comprehension. I don't deserve it. Still He gives it.

I love the song Clumsy by Chris Rice. It is way old school but God is using it in my life right now.

I wonder if I will ever REALLY be the man of God I know He wants me to be.

I am deeply in love in my wife. Let's talk about how she is God's grace personafide in my world every day.

I love being a Dad. Really, really love it.

I am hoping and praying I get a 4.0 this semester. It has been so frustrating but I have worked hard and it is going to be close. It would be a great gift if it could happen.

One of the COOLEST things EVER was when I got to Skype with my friend Ben in New Zealand last week. We had not seen each other face to face in over 17 years!

I am looking forward to our annual New Year's Eve party. It is the one time a year I get to stay up late with ADULTS!

I need sleep. I am going to do that right now.

Blessings on you!

No comments: