Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book Review - The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose

Jasper Speaks:

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The times that I thought were not as great were when he implied that things like racism and homophobia were limited to conservative Christan colleges. Brown may be progressive (although I am sure these things occur there) but I would venture to guess the situations that made him uncomfortable in these areas at Liberty happen at every school in the country. However, it was a great look at where we get it right and wrong. It was much more fair than I expected.

The book shed light on our inconsistencies.  Sometimes it was hard to read about the actions of the Christians in the book but I found it refreshing that Roose also seemed taken aback by how genuine people were. A non-Christian entering this situation comes with many biases. I was happy to read that Roose allowed most of those to rest while he was on this journey. The book is thought provoking and only seems forced a few times throughout. It was a good glimpse on how people outside the Christian "bubble" view thos eof us who claim Christ as Lord. I would recommend the reading.

No comments: