Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Accountability and Staying Clean


Jasper Speaks:
Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. The Holy Bible : English Standard Version. (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2001), 2 Ti 2:21.

I read this verse as part of my quiet time today. It made me think. Sin sucks. I know that is not a profound statement. Sin can cripple us. When we let sin into our lives it is like we are telling God we don't want to be used by Him. The most wonderful times in my life have come from service. I get energized by the times I can really sense God using me. Sometimes I let sin get in the way of that.

When you look at it, it does not make a lot of sense. When we sin there may be momentary pleasure but in the long run, it weakens us and makes us weary. I get tired and run down when I let sin take the reins. I find my self lackadaisical and impotent. Why then would I be drawn to it?

It goes back to our enemy and his mission statement. He wants to steal, kill and destroy. For all of time he has been convincing people that sin is attractive. He has gotten very good at what he does. He is bold in his deception. Remember that he even tempted Jesus to sin. What arrogance! That same pride is in his approach to us. He wants us to believe that sin is good. He understands that if we are not cleansed from the dishonorable that we cannot be used for the honorable. So, he does all he can to steer us off the right path.

That is where the need for others in our Christian walk comes in again. We need brothers and sisters to walk beside us. We need trusted people to speak into our lives and ask the tough questions. We need people who will not pull punches and tell us when they see sin in our lives.

I want to be a vessel for honorable use. I want God to use me to the utmost. I realize for that to happen I have to pull away from the lies of Satan and live a pure and holy life. I need to seek more accountability. As pastor that can be hard. There is the pressure that if we are transparent we could hurt God's message. I think that is why it is invaluable to have other men surround me. I seek out men who love me and have nothing to do directly with my ministry. I can be transparent. I can share my heart. Even though this is a hard thing for me, I know I must pursue it to remain holy.

Satan wants us to walk this path alone. His best lies are told in private. I pray that my path is littered with godly friends who will keep the conversation loud and strong toward holiness so that I may avoid the whispers of my enemy.

No comments: