Friday, August 27, 2010

Living The Life


Jasper Speaks:

So, in the spirit of sharing what God is showing me in my quiet times this week, I thought I would share this quote from My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers:


 

   "You may know all about the doctrine of sanctification, but are you running it out into the practical
     issues of  your life? Every bit of our life, physical, moral and spiritual, is to be judged by
     the standard  of the Atonement".


This caused me to think. How many of us really live out our faith all the time? I struggle from time to time with letting other things get in my way. I end up getting focused on me and not God. If we are not careful, these times can snowball and before we know it, we are in over our heads and our witness is being hampered.

This week it seems that God is really trying to teach me so much about the importance of not walking alone. I know that many of us fear transparency. We feel that admitting our struggles to someone else will make them think less of us. I admit I deeply struggle with this. Still, I can not help but think that God's Word tells me that in order to really live out my sanctification in the practical areas, I have to be surrounded by people who make sure I do what I need to do.

It seems that Christian leaders fall when they shy away from accountability. We know a lot about what it means to live the life of a Christ follower but we don't always actually reflect that. When we have others around us, it helps us to stay on track and live out that sanctification in practical ways with greater ease. Putting ourselves at a distance in our own protective bubble will only lead to Satan getting a stronger hold on us.

If we are not living the life in the practical ways, slowly we will begin to not live it in any area. Slacking off of time with God may seem minimal in the list of sins, however, that time of not connecting will fester. It will begin to chip away at us. It will lead to more frequent sinning. It will lead to more complex sin in our lives.

I am examining my own life right now. I am not sure I have the base of accountability that I need. I am a Youth Pastor and summer lends itself to be a time of a huge lack of accountability for me. Often that manifests itself in how awful August is for me spiritually. I want to have people come alongside me to help me not crash and burn. I know it is important. I am learning it is a necessity. So many times we preach the importance of submission in the practical areas of life. How often do we live it?

No comments: