Wednesday, December 01, 2010

 
One of Us

Jasper Speaks:

I love living with a four year old. He helps me look at things through a child’s eye. Everything is new and met with wide eyed wonder. It makes the holiday season even more fun. It is so neat to see Jackson get excited when he sees Christmas lights, when we put up the tree, and when we sing Christmas songs. In the eyes of a child you get to live it all over again for the first time.

All year long Jackson asks if it is Christmas yet. That gets me thinking about what my life would be like if I lived with the anxious expectation and constant reminder that Christmas is coming. I think about the biblical example of Anna and Simeon. They waited their whole lives for that first Christmas. How excited they must have been to see Jesus!

We don’t have to wait our whole lives to see Jesus. He has come. God Himself came to Earth and lived as one of us. I never can get past the idea that the creator of the universe lowered himself in that way. He came to be one of us. He didn’t have to. He could have stayed in Heaven and continued to require sacrifices for our sins. Instead, He chose to be the final sacrifice.

When I really sit and contemplate Christmas it doesn’t take me long to start thinking about Easter. That small baby, who we will celebrate in a few weeks, would go on to give His life up so that we could have life forever. The cross casts a shadow over the manger.

I want to be like Jackson. I want it to always be in my thoughts, throughout the whole year, that God became Emmanuel. He lived like me so that I could live eternally. That is a fact I need not to neglect all throughout the year. He became one of us. Amazing. I am glad that I can be reminded of what an incredible thing Christmas is through the eyes of a child.

No comments: