Monday, October 17, 2011

Life is Hard 


Jasper Speaks:



Life is Hard … But God is Good

Life is hard but God is good. This phrase has been running through my mind of late. I have had a difficult few weeks and I keep telling myself that even in the darkest hours, God is good.

When was the last time you really contemplated the goodness of God? We are so blessed. I heard someone say the other day, “What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday”. It made me think. I have much for which to be thankful. I have an amazing wife. I have a wonderful son. My extended family loves me. I have close friends.I have a caring church family. I get to spend every day “working” in a job that is my passion. I have a nice home. I have two cars. I have not gone hungry. I realize that I don’t thank God enough for what I have.

God’s Word speaks of the goodness of God often. I think that God understands that we all have difficult times. Our sinful nature enables us to be selfish and look at our current circumstances and neglect all God has done for us. So, God, in his infinite wisdom, reminds us of His goodness when we open His Word. Even in the times we feel abandoned, God’s goodness still surrounds us. Psalm 31 says:

Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You in the presence of the sons of men! You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence From the plots of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues. 

God knew life would be hard. Sin complicates everything. It keeps our focus off God and all he has given us. Still, in our darkest hour, God does not leave us alone. His goodness still prevails. We may not understand why He allows the darkness to over shadow us but we can have confidence that His goodness will continue to shine down. Part of the goodness of God is that He promises that all things will work to our good. Life deals us so many difficult times but God is greater than our difficulties. Satan’s lies are defeated when we stop dwelling on the darkness and begin to return to a list of the things for which we are thankful to God in His goodness.

If you are dealing with a difficult time, I challenge you to sit down and list the ways that you see God’s goodness at work in your life. It will change your perspective. It will defeat the enemy as he tries to deceive you into believing God has left you all alone. Life is hard but God is good. May we all remember that even in our toughest times. 

No comments: