Friday, January 06, 2012

Resolutions

Jasper Speaks:

As we enter into a New Year we will soon be hearing people ask the familiar question, “What is your New Year Resolution?” That question always make me cringe a bit. There are so many things I can think I need to resolve to do or not do. If I sat down and wrote out each of these things I could probably fill a notebook. It would certainly take a long time to list out all the ways I could be different.

In the past, like many of you I am sure, I have resolved to eat less, exercise more, watch less television, and have a day of rest each week, among a plethora of other good intentions. I may start strong on January 1 but by February 1, most of my good intentions have remained just that --- intentions.

The New Year always seems to bring renewed hope. It is like we get a fresh start as the calendar changes from December to January. With the full rotation of the Earth, comes a chance to begin again. Unfortunately, what we often find is that the same things that plagued us on December 30th are still plaguing us on January 2nd. Our struggles are still there hounding us. Our bills are not suddenly reduced back to zero. Our illnesses do not magically go away. The New Year brings hope but it does not always bring change.

As Christians, however, we have a greater hope. We can embrace the hope of second chances and new beginnings. The best part is we do not have to wait for a New Year to experience them. Lamentations 3:22-24 tells us that we receive new beginnings more than just once a year. It says:

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
   his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
    "therefore I will hope in him."

We don’t need to wait to make a resolution at the changing of a calendar. Our new beginnings come with each day. Every day provides an opportunity to allow the Lord to show himself in our lives in a new way. Even when our lives seem darkest, he remains the only light we need. He comes in many ways, offering a new mercy to us every day.

This year I challenge you to only resolve one thing --- seek out God’s new mercies every morning. Test Him and see that if you truly put you hope in His mercies, they are endless. Make your resolution for 2012 to become someone who changes your heart by holding strong to the steadfast love and mercy of our Heavenly Father and appreciating it every day.

Resolutions are not all bad but the hope we can have in the Lord to be our portion, provider and Father is not something that will cease when we are not faithful. His new and glorious mercies will follow you through this year and for the years to come.

Therefore, I ask, “What is your New Year’s Resolution?”

No comments: