Friday, July 06, 2012


HIGHER


Jasper Speaks:

I live in the same house with a daredevil.  He is a six-year-old ball of energy and has little fear of physical harm. We have a crude swing hanging from the tree in our back yard. It is just one seat and a chain that Kendra threw over a branch --- just sturdy enough for one little boy. When we play on the swing, Jackson is not content with a light push to keep him going. He yells for me to push with force. The neighbors hear his hearty order of, “Higher Daddy”! I pull the swing back and push with all my might and then smile as he giggles and yells in excitement.

Those moments get me thinking about my spiritual life. Sometimes I can be timid and afraid for God to swing me higher in my faith. I am content sitting quietly on an old porch swing, rocking in a slow, familiar pattern. Deep down I know God wants me to embrace a more exciting faith. He wants me to be on the rickety tree swing shouting, “Higher!” I wonder if I miss some great adventures by resting and letting my fear outweigh my faith.

Unlike Jackson, I am petrified of heights. I like my feet securely on the ground.  If I pursue that posture spiritually, I run the risk of not experiencing all God has for me. Trusting God and embracing those higher moments can be difficult to do. However, we must try. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.” Our fears keep us from trusting God to do exciting things in our lives. We let fear squash our attempts to share our faith, live on mission, go to other places to share the gospel and give sacrificially. If God does not give us a spirit of fear, it must come from the enemy.  If it comes from the enemy, we need to fight against it.

1 John 4:18a tells us, “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.”  God is love. There is no fear in Him. It is time that we start living out a fearless faith. We need to expect God to do exciting things in our lives. We need to be ready to shed the bondage of fear, step out in faith, and do things we never dreamed we could. I pray that you will approach your spiritual life with daredevil like ambition. You will ask God to give you the faith to swing higher and go farther. If we let go of fear, the heights we can attain for God’s Kingdom are without limit.

No comments: