Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Jasper Speaks


First World Problems

Sometimes I get frustrated. I mean really frustrated. Most of the time it is about minor things. I get stopped on every light on my trip. I can’t get the computer program to work. My cell phone won’t unlock. These are all things we call first world problems.

In my frustrations I forget how blessed I am. I concentrate on the temporary things rather than eternal. I look at the world around me and somehow I see it through carnal rather than spiritual eyes. I let the enemy distract me from what I know is important. I let myself get frustrated by things I may not even remember tomorrow.

In just a short time I will be visiting Ghana for the fifth time. My heart is full. I have learned to love the country and its people.  I cannot express how beautiful it is to worship with brothers and sisters in Christ from across the world.

Ghana is a much more relaxed country. Times are merely suggestions. You come and go at your own pace. Frustration is sometimes hard to find. Where we serve, in Nima, there is great poverty. Most people live with their families in homes the size of some of our walk in closets. There are few beds. There are no toilets. Still, in all my travels, I have never once heard a Ghanaian complain about this. They are content with what they have. Their smiles are infectious and quickly remind you that most of our problems are first world problems.
As you go about your day today, my prayer is that you, like me would be reminded that God has blessed us with much. I pray that I will remember that this world, frustrations and all, is simply a temporary spot for me. I pray that we all will recall what Paul said to the Corinthians:

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:18


When frustrations hit you today. Remind yourself that you are blessed and then pray that The Lord will help you focus not on today, but on eternity.

No comments: